Friday 9 May 2014

Banana bread (or "Oops, I've left the bananas too long, what shall I do with them?)

Banana Bread (recipe at the bottom)

Squidgy bananas.  Can't take them out with us for a snack, can't give them to the kids (unless I want to be cleaning banana off every surface known to man) so I made banana bread.
The kids yummed it up so I feel pretty good about myself.  And I remembered to take a picture before it was demolished so hurrah.




Just flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, and bananas, and you have something that makes you feel like a great Mother because you're baking from scratch.  You can even get the kids to help with the banana mashing and it counts as sensory - right?

So, this is my first post, I plan on updating when children allow.  I'll be posting some recipes, some ideas,some child related posts, some crafty bits and pieces, some random musings.
Bring all your friends!


Ingredients
  • 3 very ripe bananas (I actually used two - that's all I had!)
  • 110g (4 oz) sugar (I only used about 80g as I don't like things too sweet)
  • 50g (2 oz) melted margarine or butter
  • 170g (6 oz) self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • What to do
  • Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
  • Mash the sugar and bananas together in a large bowl.  I used a fork but then let my 3 year old loose with a potato masher!
  • Add the melted margarine and stir in. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well. Place the mixture in a greased or lined loaf tin. I used lining paper as I know it turns out better in my oven.
  • Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on which tin you are using. Check by sticking a clean knife or skewer into the cake and it should come out clean when done.
  • Apparently, previously frozen bananas work well for this recipe, so if you have any bananas which go too ripe and are not going to be eaten, freeze them to keep for this recipe.  Because we're all that organised, aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment